Wednesday, January 13, 2010

I am way behind..week 1 of Christmas

It seems silly to be posting about Christmas considering January is nearly half way over, but I haven't done it yet and I need to document this stuff. Sorry that the next couple of posts will all be Christmas and there is a lot of detail for my journaling purposes so sorry. Let's start when it all began. I was able to go to Utah for 3 weeks and it was wonderful. Lucas and I flew out on Sunday December 13th. We were supposed to leave Greensboro at 2:00pm, have a 55 minute layover in Cincinnati and be in Utah by 6:45pm! It seemed perfect. Well I have not had the best of luck flying lately and this day was no exception. We looked online before we left and it said that my flight out of Greensboro was 40 minutes delayed. That left me with only 15 minutes to make my connection. I started to stress and then realized that it will all work out. Here is Lucas in the carseat getting ready to head to the airport. He is sad to leave his daddy! Derek wasn't able to fly out with us because of an up coming test.

We get to the airport and the ticket agent sees that my flight is delayed and he advised me to not try and make my connection in Cincinnati. He doesn't think that I will have enough time and he wants me to be rerouted through Detriot. I though about just chancing it, then he says that if I don't make the connection, then I will be stuck in Cincinnati over night and that there weren't anymore flights to Salt Lake until the morning. So I reluctantly decided to be rerouted through Detroit and that plane was to leave at 4:00pm and get to Salt Lake at 9:00pm. Totally bummed but I was still going to get there. Finally we get ready to leave. Here is Lucas and I totally thrilled to finally be on the plane! We got a great seat, row 2 and no one sitting by us so we had plenty of room. It was a great thing we rerouted because the plane that was going to Cincinnati actually left over an hour late so I wouldn't have made the connection anyway. We are on our way and Lucas' first plane ride!
We get to Detroit with no problems. Have a long enough layover to make it from one end of the airport to the other, they have a family bathroom where I can take care of Lucas, it was great. We get on the plane...on time, supposed to leave on time, things are going smoothly. Then they tell us that because the plane is full and the head winds are so strong we are not going to get to Salt Lake until 10 pm. Then they tell us that the pilot is worried about having enough fuel and that we are going to have to stop in Iowa for fuel and we won't be in until 10:30pm. We get to Iowa, refuel, then we wait because now they have to de-ice the plane. More waiting...we finally get to Salt Lake after 11pm! It was a LONG day of traveling but we finally made it. There was a sweet lady who helped me off the plane and get situated with Lucas which was very nice. And there were my parents waiting for us. It was so good to see them and I was so relieved to be off that plane. We were on that plane for 6 hours straight, way too long with a 2 month old. He did a great job though considering we were crammed in that plane and didn't get to move around very much. He was great, and I was so proud of him.
The next week was spent hanging out with the the family and shopping and seeing some friends. It was great and very relaxing but we missed Derek and he missed us. He said that we can never leave him for a week again. Getting ready for the holidays! He loved being in Utah and was spoiled with love by so many cousins, aunts, uncles and loving grandparents.
Happy that dad will be flying in on Saturday! We can't wait. Hope that his plane is on time!

2 comments:

Heather said...

You are a trooper Holly. The things we go through to see our families. I remember flying with Carter from Vegas when he was a baby. That was only an 1 1/2 hour flight. I'm a total wuss. I can't imagine how stressed out I would be if I were you. I'm glad that you made it and that everything went well.

Tashina said...

I can't believe that you did that with Lucas all by yourself! I would have been freaking out the whole time! I'm such a baby! Haha! And, I can't believe how big Lucas is getting! He is so cute!