Sunday, September 6, 2009

Feelings of Gratitude

I have been so overwhelmed by the amount of kindness and love that has been shown to Derek and I as we prepare to get ready for this baby. It is amazing how much stuff you need and how much everything costs, and I can not believe the generosity that has been shown to us. I want to document this because I want to remember not to be boastful by any means.

It all started when I was first pregnant and I had just started not feeling well. Our sweet friend Jaime knew that I wasn't feeling 100% and there her sweet boys showed up at my door step with a present. Inside was crackers, ginger snaps, sparkling water, jell-o etc. Some necessities to get through those yucky weeks of morning sickness. I was lucky that my morning sickness really only lasted a couple of weeks. A couple of weeks later, I got a package in the mail from my sister-in-law, that contained two shirts, which she said were her favorite shirts to wear while pregnant. It was very sweet and completely unexpected. Then when my parents came out for a visit, they brought me some baby items, bought me some maternity clothes, and also brought a baby first aid kit and bottle from my sister.

I still keep in contact with some of my friends from my old job at TOSH and I had told them the news, and a couple of weeks later, I got a darling receiving blanket from one of my old coworkers. I had not worked there in a year, but she was still kind enough to make me, and mail me a blanket. So sweet. Next my mom came for another visit in May where she brought me two blankets that my other sister had made, and bought our crib and mattress and also some more maternity clothes. (Also my sweet friend Jaime let me borrow all of her maternity clothes so I haven't had to buy any.) Next my other wonderful friends here and fellow members of the Better Halves did a shower for me where I got some wonderful things for the baby. Next we had an amazing shower that the ladies of our church did for me where again I got a lot useful and great things for the baby. Then it was home to Utah where again our amazing family went above and beyond anyone's expectations and gave us SO much. Then a guy that I have worked with a couple of times as he does some marketing for us dropped by the office with a gift card to Babies R' Us. I have only spoken to him three times! Last week at work, I was given a surprise shower by my coworkers and bosses where I got more items for the baby.

I had divided out all of his clothes into sizes to make sure that I had enough clothes for him and I thought that I was just about there but I thought that I was still in need of some more clothes. The next day there was a huge package on my doorstep from my wonderful mom who was sending me the rest of the shower gifts that I couldn't fit in my suitcase. The package was a lot heavier than is should have been. Inside the package was a ton more clothes that she says she found at JC Penny for an awesome deal. I swear she practically doubled my kid's wardrobe! It was just perfect and I now feel as though he has enough clothes and in every size. Yay! Lastly was this week...after my aerobics class on Wednesday, one of the ladies that comes to my class said that she wanted to show me something. So I followed her and there was everyone from my class, all of the employees, and the boss from the gym with another surprise shower for me. They had decorations and treats and drinks and there was a big gift that was wrapped. I opened it, and it was a way nice jog stroller! I was so excited because I really, really wanted one but they were just so expensive and I had been very picky with the one that I wanted because I wanted it to be a nice one. It was even nicer than the one that I wanted. And lastly, just yesterday I was at the grocery store and there was a lady in line behind me and she started asking me when I was due and we started talking and she started unloading my cart for me! She didn't need to and it was just so sweet. She was a complete stranger, who was just trying to help someone else out. Also, yesterday while I was at the gym there is a trainer that works there who I have only spoken to on a couple occasions as he is new and only works on Saturdays and there sitting on his desk was a large stuffed dog which he had brought for my little boy! Just so nice. I just feel so blessed and so thankful that I have such a wonderful family and such wonderful and caring friends. I am sure that there have been other acts of kindness on my behalf but I can't remember them all. Sorry if I have left anything out. I am so lucky to work where I do, to live where I do, and to be surrounded by such amazing and kind people. I now feel completely ready for him to come. I have everything I need, and everything that I want. Whether I needed it or not, I have it. I am just so blessed and I can't believe what a wonderful world we live in and that there are some very kind people in this world. I just hope that I can return the favor and be this nice to others.

Oh yeah, one more thing that I am grateful for is the fact that I am 37 weeks pregnant and I don't have any stretch marks! (knock on wood). Thank you Mom and Dad for the genes...

(P.S. They took pictures of the surprise shower this past Wednesday and I will post some of them when they send them to me and show you my sweet new jog stroller, as long as I don't look too huge! :)

5 comments:

Lara B said...

Holly that was so sweet of you to recognize all the good that has been done for you. It is good to see that there are great people in this world. You just wait until after your sweet boy comes :) Take care and good luck!

Beth at Aunties said...

You and your sweet family deserve all the goodness you have recieved because of the compassion and thoughtfulness you have shown to others. GOOD for YOU!
We got our baby Wednesday! A healthy baby boy born by an emergency c-section. He was placenta previa and the doc didn't know... Little 'Archie James' arrived at 7'8ozs and was their largest of their five!

I are trying to adapt to his name! :) I will be watching for news of your September baby! They are so sweet and smell so good!

Hugs my sweet tush friend!

jCroft(y) said...

Holly, I am so excited for you. You're a great mom already. :) And high five for no stretch marks! Miss ya!

Hollie and Luke said...

Yeah I didn'T have a stretch mark either and then she dropped and yeah lower abs on both sides!! But hopefully you'll be able to avoid the stupid things!! Just know as someone who is only 6 days into this motherhood thing this is my advice to you!! You will know when its real labor!! There is no way of confusing the "real" pains!! Enjoy labor and delivery, when that baby comes out there is nothing like it-AMAZING!!! Send your baby to the nursery at night cause when you get home there is no one to relieve you and my baby hates her cradle and now sleeps in the Boppy pillow and sleeps 4 hours at a time, she loves it!! Just sit and hold him cause everyone tells my they grow fast and I already cry that she is going to change!! Good luck!!

Davis and Laura said...

I know, I was pretty overwhelmed too...just wait to after the baby comes! Whoa!