All along I have been saying how big I think this little boy is going to be. At my last Drs. appointment which was last Friday, I had asked my Doctor how big based on my measurements he thought the little one would be, because I thought that he just seemed very big to me. His exact words were "Well he is not going to be 'abnormally' large"??? What does "abnormally large" mean? He said that we would do an ultrasound at my next appointment so we could measure him and see how big he was.
Derek has thought that I am being a little over dramatic and he doesn't think that the baby is going to be big at all. I had my ultrasound done yesterday and as I was dropping Derek off at school he asked me honestly how big I thought the baby was going to be. I told him that I thought he was going to be at least 2 weeks ahead of schedule and that he already weighs over 6 pounds. He said no and that he may only be a couple of days ahead of schedule.
So off to the appointment I go! The ultrasonographer started with the head measurements and I watched on the screen the number of weeks that he was measuring kept going up and up. She kindly said "So, do big babies run in your family?"......"NO!!! Big babies to not run in my family." My mom had all little 6 pounders, with my brother I think being the biggest at 7 something. My sisters have all had babies in the 6 pound range too, so in my mind, any baby over 6 pounds, is big to me! She said that his head size was measureing at least 2 weeks ahead of schedule. Next she did the measurements of his belly which was also measuring a week over schedule. They said that the baby right now weighs 6 lbs 2 oz!!! Ha, I was right again. My motherly instincts have already kicked in! I said that he would measure 2 weeks a head of schedule and that he would already be 6 pounds. Well, I have 4 more weeks to go! He is going to grow and put on fat for 4 more weeks!?! Oh no. So they guess, if I don't go early that he will be at least 8 pounds! To me that is huge, especially when I am comparing him to a 6 pounder. I did want to see a close up of his profile and face because in our other ultrasound I didn't really get to see his profile because his hand was next to his face, but because he is so big he is so squished in there and he is head down, we really couldn't get a profile view of him. She was able to get a shot of his face where I could see his eye and his chubby cheeks. His face looked really square in the picture, but then as I was doing my hair this morning, I realized that my face is very square! Well we will see what he looks like when he comes. I could be completely wrong, but I do know for one thing that he will be a big boy! (Even if it is a little over 6 pounds, I am still saying that is big!)
5 years ago

6 comments:
I agree: anything over 6 pounds is big to me. Rob was a 9 pounder! Uh oh.
He'll be handsome, big or small! :) Hang in there!
Don't worry- it will all be ok! My babies were all around 8 1/2 lbs. Emma was the biggest at 9 lbs. Bigger babies aren't as fragile- theres more to cuddle! It doesn't really matter how big they are, that first time usually involves a lot of pushing no matter what the size. Once you've had one though, the others come out much easier! i'm really excited for you!
I laughed right out loud reading this post! I hope you are doing well. You will love the little (or big) guy no matter how much he weighs. Plus in 4 weeks you won't care how big he is, you'll just want him out! I went 3 weeks early with my first... maybe you won't go the full 4 weeks.. you never know!...
You are too funny! Just remember, that means he is a healthy boy! A lot of people want small babies, but when I helped deliver babies, the bigger ones did a lot better! After I saw that, I definitely want a bigger baby! Good luck with everything and definitely keep us updated! I am so excited for you guys! You two will be awesome parents! I feel so bad i missed your shower. Let me know what you need for him and I will have it for you when you come down next. I wanted to wait for my big paychecks to come in :)!
You're so funny! Mine were both over 8lbs...you'll do fine whether they're big or small!
Don't worry... third trimester ultrasounds are notoriously inaccurate when it comes to estimating fetal weight! Just ask Sarah.
Post a Comment