Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Busy couple of months...it's a long post...beware!

I have been such a slacker lately when it comes to blogging. I guess between two jobs, being pregnant, cleaning house, making dinner, grocery shopping, paying bills, taking care of my even more busy husband, and other activities that I am involved in I think I have a pretty good excuse to be so far behind! I decided that I would just put everything into one big, long post even going back to March! I know... slacker.

First of all Derek is in his official last week of school! Even though it is not really school, the school work is over, he has been helping out in a Family Practice clinic for the past week and will continue this week too. He is really enjoying it and having a good time, although he is done at 5:00pm, and after we work out, he doesn't have anything to do! He hasn't had much school work in the past week and he is already complaining that he is bored. He goes to work from 8-5, then has the evenings free. He doesn't know what to do with himself. He is used to studying from 7 am to 11 pm, so this 8-5pm stuff is something very new to him! I say take advantage of it, but he is not the type of person to not be doing anything. I don't know what he is going to do next week, when he actually does have the WHOLE week off! After that week he will start a 10 week research project in Emergency Medicine which will be a great experience for him and will give him a lot of exposure to life in the ER which is one of the specialties that he is thinking about going into for residency. We'll see how the summer goes with that! He will stay busy... hopefully.

Next, I had a great Mother's Day, and my mom was actually here! Yay! My brother moved to DC for the summer, so my mom decided to hitch a ride and they came for a visit to my house! They arrived on May 7th, and I got to spend time with my mom and my brother. My brother left on the 8th to get to DC and start working, and my mom stayed until May 13th (her Birthday!). Isn't he a cutie? I loved having my brother at my house. And all you single ladies...he is available and quite the catch!

My mom and I had a great time shopping, shopping and hanging out! She is such a sweetheart and completely spoiled me while she was here! We planted flowers in my yard which look beautiful, did plenty of shopping, and having fun. I had to work Monday and Tuesday of last week, while she got to stay at my house and make me dinner and relax. She also planted my little garden which I am so excited about. On Wednesday before I took her to the airport we did a little more shopping and she bought my little boy a ton of books that I can't wait to read to him. He is going to be so smart. I loved having my mom here, I wish that my dad could have come too, but I know that he is busy! I can't wait until they come back again this Fall when our little boy gets here!



We had our official ultrasound on May 8th also. I need to get the picutres of him scanned but I have not done that yet! Everything is looking great, which we are so thrilled about. He even yawned during the ultrasound which was absolutely adorable. Everything is measuring right on schedule too, except for his femur (leg) length is measuring 9 days a head of schedule! I have been telling everyone that he is going to be a big boy and I was right! If he contiunes growing at this pace, he will be 18 days ahead of schedule, he will be like 26 inches long (not really, hopefully)! The lady that was doing our ultrasound did say that he was going to be tall. I guess he didn't have much of a choice when his daddy is 6'4", my dad is about 6'5", and Derek's dad is about 6'6"! He comes from a line of tall men, which I am pleased about! Let's just hope that his head size stays right on schedule and is not 18 days ahead of schedule! Yikes.


Lastly, my parents came for a visit back in March for Derek's spring break! I know that was forever ago but I still need to put my pictures up. They decided that they wanted to leave cold Utah and come to sunny North Carolina, which had been very nice...until they got here. They brought the bad weather with them. You can always tell when my parents are here because it will be bad weather :). We were going to go to Wilmington for the weekend but it was still supposed to be bad weather there so we drove on down to Charleston, South Carolina. We had so much fun walking around historic Charleston the first night we got there. I love these huge homes that all around downtown historic Charleston. They are so charming.








Ahh the beach! Too bad it was too cold to even do anything, but I love palm trees.

The next day we took a boat ride out to Fort Sumter, where the Civil War started. It was fun and so educational. I loved hearing about the Civil War and the tour guides were so knowledgable, obviously. The pictures kind of speak for themselves. The fort has been refurbished with the original brick, obviously it had been mangled by the war. It was also a lot taller when the war began.


This is the original flag that was up when the Civil War started.

Next we went to the Magnolia Plantation and Gardens, where we spent the rest of the afternoon walking around. It was so huge and so beautiful. On Sunday we went to church, then drove back home. It was a great little get-away and it was fun to be with my parents. Since Derek was on Spring Break there was no studying for him either. Great trip. We also found a great restaurant that they have in Charleston, Sticky Fingers! If you are ever in Charleston, go there. I also heard that they have one in Charlotte too! It is so good, if you ever want to go, let Derek and I know, we will go with you! Here are the pictures from the plantation. It was beautiful and the flowers were gorgeous and it was only the beginning of March. I can't imagine what it would look like now.





This is a real alligator on the rock, look closely you can see it.

I have no idea why I don't have a picture of the actual house on the plantation. It was a large house but obviously most of our time was spent walking around the numerous gardens. They also had a petting zoo on the plantation and I honestly think that was Derek's favorite part!


Hopefully, that catches me up on my blogging. We are excited for this summer and even more excited for September! We don't have anymore visitors planned to come see us in the near future here, so if you want to come, we have room! Thanks to my mom and dad for coming and visiting us in March, and another thank you to my mom and brother for coming to visit last week. We love our family and we love to have visitors!

2 comments:

123 said...

It's about time you got caught up on the bloggind, J/K!
I keep telling Brian I want to come out and visit you guys. Don't be surprised when we show up :)

Tashina said...

How fun to have your family out there! And, as much as I love all the pics, I want more of the belly!! Hehehe!! :)